The amazing “Watchmen” from HBO, was the big winner in the 36th Annual Television Critics Association’s Awards Awards (TCA Awards), it was announced today.
The drama was inspired by a legendary graphic novel and with commentary about our real-world racial reckoning, and won four awards, in the 2019-20 TV season. Those awards included Program of the Year and Individual Achievement in Drama, which was awarded to Oscar and Emmy winner Regina King.
‘Watchmen’ had many viewers to the Tulsa race massacre which also triumphed in the new program and shows, attending to HBO’s overall haul of six TCA Awards.
The Drama — written and produced by Damon Dindelof — has 26 nominations going into Sunday’s Primetime Emmy Awards.
Other programs recognized included HBO’s “Succession,” ESPN’s “The Last Dance” and Pop TV’s “Schitt’s Creek.” Two entertainment legends, “Jeopardy!” host Alex Trebek and the original “Star Trek” TV series, also received honors.
The Winners were elected by the vote of TCA members, a group of more than 250 TV critics and journalists from the U.S. and Canada.
Some of the prizes that achieved:
Individual Achievement In Drama: Regina King (“Watchmen,” HBO)
Individual Achievement In Comedy: Catherine O’Hara (“Schitt’s Creek,” Pop TV)
● Individual Achievement In Drama: Regina King (“Watchmen,” HBO)
● Individual Achievement In Comedy: Catherine O’Hara (“Schitt’s Creek,” Pop TV)
● Outstanding Achievement In News and Information: “The Last Dance” (ESPN)
● Outstanding Achievement In Reality Programming: “Cheer” (Netflix)
● Outstanding Achievement In Youth Programming: “Molly of Denali” (PBS Kids)
● Outstanding Achievement In Sketch/Variety Shows: “A Black Lady Sketch Show” (HBO)
● Outstanding New Program: “Watchmen” (HBO)
● Outstanding Achievement In Movie, Miniseries, Or Special: “Watchmen” (HBO)
● Outstanding Achievement In Drama:“Succession” (HBO)
● Outstanding Achievement In Comedy: “Schitt’s Creek” (Pop TV)
● Program of the Year: “Watchmen” (HBO)
● Career Achievement Honoree: Alex Trebek
● Heritage Award: “Star Trek” (CBS)